The Good Neighbor House invites community groups, classes, book clubs, worship or prayer groups, local organizations–just about anything you can imagine–to use our spaces. We look forward to sharing our home with you!
We have two categories of building use:
Events open to the community are for community enrichment and operate on a donation basis. These may be one-time events or regular weekly or monthly gatherings. If your group welcomes anyone from the community to attend, you may use the building on a “donate what you can” basis. When you set up your event we will discuss with you how your group can contribute financially or by doing a project together to benefit our cause. Examples of groups open to the community are the Heart of Texas Storytelling Guild, a scouting troop, the Quaker Worshipers, and Crafternoons.
Private events and parties are closed and include only the people you invite. Our space nicely accommodates celebrations such as birthdays, family reunions, showers, and quinces. Businesses and churches have used our space for retreats, committees, and board meetings. You may use the kitchen by request. Private events can be set up for a very low fee to be discussed when you inquire.
To begin the reservation process, we ask you to make decisions about the space(s) you wish to reserve and complete and submit a Reservation Request Form (at least one week before your event, if possible). In addition, we ask that you review our policies for using the Good Neighbor House.
Before you complete the Reservation Request Form, please do the following. (The reservation form will ask you for specific information related to the first three items):
- Check our Events Calendar (link opens in new browser window) to ensure that the dates, times, and rooms are available
- Decide which room(s) you want to use (link will scroll down to space descriptions).
- If you request to use the kitchen, please tell us on the form how you plan to use it.
- Complete and Send the Reservation Request Form (link opens in new browser window).
Within 48 hours after we receive your request, Good Neighbor will send you an email to confirm that the day(s), time(s) and space(s) are available and to arrange a call with your “contact” person to discuss further details about your reservation. When we talk, we wish to discuss the following:
- Will you need to use both front and back access to the house (back has accessibility ramp)?
- How would you like the space to be set-up (extra chairs, specific arrangement of furniture)?
- How will you use the kitchen?
- And we will discuss options for donations. Good Neighbor operates under the philosophy of contributing together to support this community space. We ask each group to think about how they can contribute so that we may continue to operate. Some bring supplies; some offer to do a project such as paint a wall; some pass the basket for donations; others just donate a certain amount. We will discuss these options with you when we contact you to confirm other details of your reservation.
We try to respond to requests within 48 hours. (If you don’t hear back within 2 days, send a text message or call: 254-716-3079.)
- If you need to cancel your event, please contact us as soon as possible. Send an email to email@example.com or call / text 254-716-3079.
- On the extremely unlikely chance that we would need to cancel your reservation, we will give you notice as soon as we know.
Descriptions of Spaces: Use the tabs below to see descriptions and photos of each of our spaces. Most of the house has central air and heat, and WiFi is available throughout the house. In addition to the space you choose, you have access to restrooms, and you can arrange to use the kitchen, too. You can also call to ask specific questions or (COVID permitting) arrange a visit to see the house / space for yourself.
- The Living Room – A large room at the front door that seats 20+ in couches and upholstered chairs, with end tables, coffee tables, a drop-leaf table and space for folding tables if needed. Consider this your large, comfortable “home away from home” for hanging out with friends, informal meetings, bible studies, and more.
- • The Library – A meeting or study room with a large conference table that seats eight (chairs provided), a small side sofa, a side table and chairs, and bookshelves.
- • The Event Room – A long rectangular room with open floor space. We have 40 chairs that can be arranged in any way you like, and folding tables available. This would be a great space for a lecture, concert, hands-on class, dance or exercise class, etc.
• The Sunroom (coming soon!) – French doors lead from the event room to a porch with windows on all sides. The light is amazing. Note that the sun room isn’t part of the house’s heating and air conditioning, so a portable heater and window unit air conditioner are available.
- The Deck and Backyard – Our back deck is 15′ by 30′ with steps on two sides down to a large, shaded yard which is open and suitable for most needs.
- The Kitchen – In our kitchen you will find various appliances: a guest refrigerator, a table with five chairs, a dish washer, oven and stove, and certain dishware available for the use of our guests. This is a great place to prepare and keep food and snacks for a variety of events. (See our few guidelines for using the kitchen [link opens in new browser window]).